The Audain Art Museum Read more [...]
Place Category: Museums & Heritage Sites
Built in 1894 as a salmon cannery in the fishing village of Steveston, the Gulf of Georgia Cannery was once the largest of its kind, earning it the nickname “The Monster Cannery”. Today, interactive displays and exhibits present the history of Canada’s west coast fishing industry, where visitors of all ages will enjoy exploring a restored salmon canning line from the early to mid-1900’s, and a herring reduction plant which was in operation at the site from 1940 to 1979. Open daily from 10am to 5pm (check website for event/holiday closures). Guided tours, 25-minute introductory film, canning line machine demonstrations and costumed interpreters available throughout the summer season (May to September). Tours, film, and educational programming available throughout the year upon request.