The Audain Art Museum Read more [...]
Place Category: Museums and Heritage Sites
Located in historic Fort Langley, The BC Farm Museum has the province’s largest collection of pioneer and agricultural artifacts.
In 1953 the donation of a single high-cut walking hand plow by Mr. R. J. Coleman to the University of British Columbia started a planning process to establish an Agricultural Museum in the Fraser Valley. It was decided that Fort Langley would be a better location than UBC and work began by raising money and acquiring land. The ground breaking ceremony for the BC Farm Museum happened in 1966 when Archie Stevenson, BC President of the British Columbia Federation of Agriculture turned the first sod for the eight-thousand square foot building. It took nearly nine years to raise sufficient capital to erect the original building. The museum was officially opened on November 19, 1966 by Sir Robert Billinger, Lord Mayor of London. Within a very short time a second building had to be erected to house a growing collection of agricultural artifacts. Phase Two and Three were officially opened in 1978.
The collection of artifacts by the Association has evolved from focusing on farming equipment only, to including historical artifacts depicting all aspects of pioneer life. The Museum collection has grown to over 5000 historical artifacts of farming equipment and pioneer life in British Columbia on display in two buildings and an outside exhibit area.